QUESTION- Difference Between Negotiation and Assignment
The various points of distinction between negotiation and assignment are discussed below:-
1. Negotiation requires delivery only to constitute a transfer, whereas assignment requires a written document signed by the transferor.
2. Consideration is always presumed in the case of transfer by negotiation. In the case of assignment consideration must he proved.
3. In case of negotiation, notice of transfer is not necessary, whereas in the case of assignment notice of the transfer must be given by the assignee to the debtor.
4. The assignee takes the instrument subject to all the defects in the title of the transferor. If the title of the assignor was defective the title of the assignee is also defective. However, in case of negotiation the transferee takes the instrument free from all the defects in the title of the transferor. A holder in due course is not affected by any defect in the title of the transferor; He may therefore have a better title than the transferor.
5. In case of negotiation a transferee can sue the third party in his own name. But an assignee cannot do so.
You May Also Like to Read : Rights of Unpaid Seller
Thanks For Reading: Difference Between Negotiation and Assignment
Powered By 360Presence